Call the Library
For fast and convenient service, phone the ASK US team for assistance with reserving and/or renewing materials or to get quick answers to your questions, from the commonplace to the obscure.
Monday – Thursday 10 a.m.– 9 p.m.
Friday – Saturday 10 a.m.– 5 p.m.
Sunday 1-5 p.m.
Email A Question
Let our staff work on your questions now. Fill out this easy online form for account and reference inquiries.
Make an Appointment
Need help researching a topic? Wondering how to get started? How about advice on how to move ahead with your research?
Make an appointment with a librarian for more in-depth assistance with your research.
- What is required for a library card?
To register for a permanent library card, you will need to provide:
- current picture identification (I.D.)
- current address verification
18 and Under:
- current picture identification (I.D.) or birth certificate
- current address verification
- signature of a parent or legal guardian. Please read our letter regarding library cards and minors.
- How do I find a particular book, movie or CD?
You can search for items in the Library Catalog several ways:
By KEYWORD - Use Keyword if you aren’t sure of the title or want several items about a subject. Use significant or unique words from the title or words identifying the subject you want.
By TITLE – Use Title to find a specific item when you know the title. You don't need to enter the complete title, just enough of it to narrow the results.
By AUTHOR/NAME – Use Author/Name to locate items by or about someone. Use "last name, first name" format.
Books not found in the catalog may be available through our Interlibrary Loan program. We can borrow books for you from other libraries throughout the country, but the process does take time. Staff at the Information Desk or by telephone can submit a request for you. Interlibrary Loan is for items published more than six months ago. DVDs and CDs cannot be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
You can suggest the Library purchase new/recently published items by completing the Suggest a Purchase form online or by telephone.
- How do I place a hold/request an item?
You can place holds/request items yourself through the catalog on this website. Library staff can also place holds for you by phone or at the desk. To place a hold online:
- Search for the desired item in the Library Catalog by Title, Author/Name or Keyword
- Click the title wanted to display the full record
- Click the Place hold button on the left sidebar
- Follow instructions to enter your library card number, last name, and last four digits of your phone number, then click Enter
- Select a pickup branch by clicking a branch name
- Ignore the Vacation Hold option and date unless you will not be able to pick up items until after a certain date you will return from a vacation.
- Click Place Hold. The screen will display "Hold Placed" and will show your place number on the Holds list and how many copies are available.
- How do I find out if my holds are ready to pick up or where I am on the waiting list?
The Library’s automated notification system will contact you by email or telephone message. You have 7 days to pick up your holds.
You can also check the status of your holds online. Click on Your Account in the upper right corner. Enter your library card number, last name, and last four digits of your telephone number. Click Holds. Items on your hold list will display "This title is available for pickup" and a "Pickup by" date if the item is ready for you. A Status of "Intransit > sent" displays when the item is on its way to your branch. The "Queue position" will tell you where you are in the holds list for a "Request pending" item of a title.
- Can I renew items online?
- Yes. Click on Your Account and enter the requested information. Click View Loans.
There are 2 ways to renew materials.
1) Click the box next to each item you wish to renew, then click on Renew at the top of the screen. OR
2) Click the orange Renew Loan button underneath the item you wish to renew.
The renewed materials will move down to the bottom of the list where you will see the new due date for each item that renewed. (Note: You may have to click the Show More Loans button in order to see them.)
Note the new due date.
Some reasons an item might not renew: others have requested it, it has been renewed twice already, item is in the Browse collection (red sticker), or it’s an Interlibrary Loan item from another system.
- Does the Library accept donations of books, DVDs, etc.?
- The Library accepts donations of items in good condition and of current interest. Most items go to the Friends of the Library and are sold to raise funds for special Library programs and needs. Due to space limitations, donations are only received at the larger branches and Rio Vista. Please call for further information as not all types of materials can be accepted; we can provide information on alternative sites for material the Library and Friends cannot use.